Wednesday, July 15, 2009

This play is a tribute to Habib Tanvir (a mentor of Rahul)




I did not know about this man before he died in the beginning of June. I wish I knew more of those extraordinary people who stand and step out, while they were still alive. I wish they had all the honors they deserved, while they were still alive, and that they inspired as many people as they could, because really, I think that it is those people who make us move forward -their dedication, mostly. I've read that he was a theatre person, poet and activist. Rahul was deeply close to him and wrote in his tribute:

' Through his life, he always responded to events around him, both through work and in an activist mode by taking part in marches, protests, and rallies. He remained an uncompromising enemy of parochialism, sectarianism, communalism and all other narrow-minded ideologies.

He loved children and had special fondness for our daughter Aliya who called him baba ji.

He was wonderfully warm, affectionate and a voracious reader. He was very curious about the world, what people were doing, the new productions, etc. He could not stop himself from living life to the fullest. Right till the end he was active and always making new plans.

In my last meeting, he told me that if health permitted, he would like to direct Truth and Treason in Canada. We didn’t get that opportunity, but we dedicate Truth and Treason to him. We celebrate his life with more meaningful theatres…'

I wish you can also allow yourself to be touched by this loss, and inspired by the man's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment