Monday, September 14, 2009

Rover arts- The Art Of Changing The World THEATRE - Truth and Treason, Monument National

A critic... I wonder what people mean, when they say 'change the world'. Have we agreed on a common well-understood-just-the-same-for-everyone-definition? What does 'change the world' mean? Am I the world? Are you the world? If it's not you nor me, then who is it? Have I changed throughout this process? Oh yes. Have the actors changed throughout this process? I was told so. Has the playwright change throught the process of putting on this play? Yes, I would think so. Has the director changed throught this process? Yes, I would also think so. Has my little sister changed because she saw this play and never goes to theater; she told me: 'I wish more people could see this, I wish you could be in all Universities, I wish my teachers brought me to see this kind of theatre. I am so mad that so many people are indifferent and won't even try to go. They don't know what they are missing'. Has the Iranian panelist who saw the play on the Opening Night and was talking on this past Sunday panel changed through seeing it? She said at her panel, something similar to 'I am sorry that I could not stay after the show, it was just too much for me. I am very proud and moved that you were not afraid to portay fundamentalism as boldly as you did, because really, they're not just the 'good guys' over there. I could relate to this oppression so much'. Have the panelists from Échec à la Guerre, who had a floor to speak, changed? Well, they might have, since they could talk. Do you change when you write on a particular topic? Isn't the fact of writing against blankness a change in itself? Please, help me understand. We all can take critic -unless if our intentions were just so good and we get a flying stone after a pile of flowers- but we all like to understand eachother and the judgement we put upon ourselves as well. If I'm wrong about claiming this statement for the whole world, I claim it at least for myself. With all my heart,

Steph

If you wish to read:

article

No comments:

Post a Comment